Sunday, August 26, 2012

Timber! (I got a chainsaw)

I haven't had much to blog about lately thanks to the Florida weather. The afternoon rains have kept me indoors. This past week I was sitting at home with my dogs, bummed that my weekday kayak trip was rained out, when I heard a big crash outside. I looked out the window to find a pine tree that had fallen from the woods into my front yard.

tree down

The wind from the afternoon storm had caused the trunk to snap in half about 7 feet up on the tree. Luckily the tree landed in my front yard, and not on my house!

 

Great, now I finally had an excuse to go out, and buy a chainsaw. I've wanted one for a long time. After a little research on the internet, I found the Homelite 14" electric chainsaw. I wasn't sure if this little electric chainsaw could do the job, but at almost 1/3 of the price of the gas powered chainsaws it was worth taking a chance on. After all, it was rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Home Depot's website. I picked up the chainsaw for less than $50, and a quart of bar & chain oil.

electric chain saw

The Homelite electric chainsaw is self-oiling. All you need to do is fill the oil reservoir, and plug it in to an outdoor extension cord. After the first few cuts, you will need to tighten the chain by turning the chain tensioning knob clockwise. Now you are ready to cut. Just keep an eye on the oil window, and refill with bar & chain oil when it gets low.

Homelite chainsaw


Time to tackle this tree...


 


 




Thanks to this little electric chainsaw it looks like I'll have plenty of firewood for our next bonfire... And there's more where that came from.

stacked firewood


As I type this Tropical Storm Isaac is bringing rain & wind to Central Florida. I might just have some more use for this chainsaw sooner than I thought...

Thanks for reading. Please comment, follow, "like", and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please follow my blog.
Your comments & feedback are always welcome.